Workshops

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

my new toy



My new toy arrived the other day - a wild carder - and even better, Ian didn't have to put it together from scratch. (unlike the new garden shed which is still lying in bits on my studio floor).
I have been having fun feeding slushies and scrim and yarns and felty scraps and all sorts of other fibres through it and then laying it onto a flimsie and running it under the embellisher machine. We should have them for sale on the website before too long. I needed to see what I could do with it before I brought them in. I am very pleased with it as it speeds up a few operation stages up for me.

I am working on my Stonehaven fibres and stuff - I am putting the final touches to choosing the thread colours for the new set of variegated machine threads in the Earth Element Collection. I have 3 lying on the bench doing the final choose and waiting for Jacinta to send me fibres for the last one so I can match - then I can send them off to the dyer and voila we will have 4 new variegated thread and 20 new plains. If you click on the pics and enlarge them you can see the threads on the bench in their stages of being decided. It takes longer than you think to choose colours and make sure they are right.


You might be able to see the diferent textures worked on the flimsie. I have been working on this colour - see the flower stitcher piece from the other day. I am starting my Textile Tantrum sample because I need something for the advertising. This might be the one - as usual it will be cut in places. I might do a photo or two transfer using TAP - I like the cracked effect on an embellished background. Do you think that sounds innovative or what?


6 comments:

Amanda Sheridan said...

Pardon my ignorance but what's a flimsie?

Sandy said...

I used a friend's once, and it was so much faster and easier than hand carders. I'll be watching for it.

Guzzisue said...

a friend lent me 3 drop spindle and spinning wheel and a drum carder, I have been having great fun blending fibre for both spinning and use with th embellisher.

Heather said...

Love the look of your new toy - it must save so much time. Those new colours look wonderful - so subtle and earthy.

Dotti said...

I don't see myself carding at all but I am still rolling on the floor laughing out loud over your 'shed' comment. That hit home with me! LOL

Virginia said...

Yes Heather, I totally agree! The thing I love about your colour selections, Dale, are the way they blend - they're subtle, not "in your face" with colours from across the colour wheel - it's the harmonious colour blends, rather than using complimentary colours, which so often I find I have to get rid of, that makes them so user friendly.

Thanks for keeping them coming!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...